Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Week Seven (12/22-28)

I keep finding these tiny little silver bells, smaller than a pea, on the bathroom floor. Every time I'd go in there I'd find another one. So far I'm up to thirteen. Now, it's either the mice had a great Christmas party or my son (most likely) tore something up. What it was I have no idea, but that's pretty much par for the course.


I was surprised Damien's favorite Christmas present was the Origami book. He's made one pencil and at least 40 paper cups which are now everywhere. One was the size of my pinkie fingernail. I had to dig out the snow cone maker because he had to see if they would actually hold something. His second favorite gift was the 'bop it XD' He got mad when his dad beat his score, but he thought it was funny when I beat Dad. Now he's beat everyone X's 2 so he hasn't touched it since. Normal child.


I got the ladle I wanted plus coated tongs so I can turn meat in my coated pan. Like I've said before I'm easy to please, so I'm delighted. I was a cheap date when I was dating. In College all it took was a six pack in the hands of a nice guy and I was happy. I've never been 'high maintance' for the men in my life or even myself. When I wasn't dating I'd buy myself flowers. Actually at one time I was the overnight D.J. at an AM radio station. On the way home one early morning I passed a flower shop and saw they had thrown all the wilting flowers outside the front door in a cardboard box. I stopped and pulled out a bouquet of the best and couldn't have been happier. After that I had semi fresh flowers all the time. Sure they didn't last quite as long, but I was always able to replenish them several times a week.


This brings up a point: Why wait for someone else to make you happy? Buy yourself flowers or something special. There's nothing wrong with making yourself happy. Paul and I did this for Christmas. He received a Gift card for Wal-Mart. We decided to spoil ourselves and bought a small chunk of Prime Rib! Then I decided to try my hands at Yorkshire pudding. I can honestly say it was the best I've ever had...of course it was the first I've ever had, but now I can mark that off my list. I'm happiest with small/cheap things and free things. Thrift stores are a wonderland to me, garage sales are great amusement, and when I dig out my more than thirty year old metal detector, every beep is a chance to open a gift waiting in Mother Earth. Found coins are super, but every old chunk of metal I can't recognize might be a Civil War relic. For me it's not the monetary value, but the stories I invent to go with the prize just found. Yes. I'm VERY easy to please!




Lessons learned:


I can't decide. It's either "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", or "One person's trash is another person's Civil War relic".  All I know for sure is whether it's a $3.00 used Origami book or half-wilted flowers you can find splendor all around.

No comments: