Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Week Six (12/15-21)

I decided to buy something "old school" that is slowly going out of style for everyone for Christmas: books. For my best friend Sheila I got a gift certificate to her favorite used bookstore. For Paul it was "The Man In The High Castle" by Richard Dick. I was surprised how expensive a paperback could be, but with the help of my friend the World Wide Web I got a great price. For my son I got two books: Origami for kids, and one on how to fold better paper airplanes. I figure he's going to continue throwing paper all over the floor, so it might as well be folded into something first!

Paul and I have to buy more for Damien. He hasn't bothered to make out a list, but I think that's because this is the first year he doesn't believe in Santa. And he's pissed! I tried to soften the blow when he approached me with a 'I know the truth you lying mom' look in his eyes. I told him, yes, there is no one person who flies all over the world, but there are thousands of people who take on the role and make sure children get something under their tree. He didn't care. I took him to the Army reserve building and pointed at it and said; "This is where parents come every year and pick up presents. There are several hundred 'Santas' in there who love children so much they volunteer their time to make sure Christmas is better for children who's parents need help. When I told him children aren't allowed inside he became upset and said, "Then why did you bring me here! Let's leave!" Later I realized he probably thought Army men were going to burst out of the doors at any minute with guns blazing because I shared the "secret".

He does hold grudges. In First grade he came home from school one day angry at Popeye. He was grumbling under his breath "Stupid Popeye! (grumble grumble)" For two years he refused to watch his Popeye DVDs. I think they had spinach at school for lunch and he blamed the cartoons. Suddenly this last September I walked in the bedroom and he was watching a Popeye cartoon.

I looked at him and then the TV. "I thought you hated Popeye!"

He glanced up a second and said "Yea, I used to, but I like him again."

So far all I've been able to get out of him is he wants batteries for his light swords (he has 4) and a pair of tennis shoes that pump air on your feet when you walk. The last is because he has his dad's sweaty feet. I just hope they have them in 6 1/2! He has giant feet for a 9 year old. I don't know if like puppies big feet mean he'll be tall. His dad is 6' 3"and wears 12's or 13's depending on style. When I was pregnant that was one thing I worried about. The doctor said at 5'6" I'm considered above average for a woman, so even if he took after me he would be around 6'. Paul thinks he's going to be taller that him, almost like a giant. I think he's just worried about the grocery bill when Damien becomes a teenager. Kind of like a "Little Shop Of Horrors" fear: "FEED ME!"

As for me, all I want is a new ladle and some coat hangers. Paul says that's not Christmas type items, but it's what I really want and need. I never have enough hangers to hang everything I want, and my favorite ladle came up broke. I'm not talking a $1 ladle anyway. I'm talking about a Ladle like you would see on a cooking show. One that would last me the rest of my life and beyond. I'll probably get something I don't need, but I tried.

I did ask for a book on how to dry and preserve foods or a book on edible wild plants just in case December 21, 2012 really is bad, but I've looked around myself and can't find any I like. I guess he could get me freeze dried food to store. I once saw freeze dried ice cream at a Army surplus store. Not sure how that works but I'd like to try it! Of course I wouldn't wait until disaster to eat it. Who can NOT eat ice cream!

I finally got our tree up Tuesday. It's one of those little trees with attached lights. It stands three feet tall, and the ornaments Damien has picked out over the years are for a six footer. Some are eight inches long. It's a bit odd looking, but my family is odd, so it fits us to a "T".

One of my Grandparents had a silver tree. There are people, including Paul, who think a tree should be green, but I loved that tree. Whenever I see one I get so happy and the memories of Christmases past flow back including my Grandmother's divinity... I wonder if there's such a thing as freeze dried divinity? That would be an awesomely cool thing to freeze dry! I'm going to check into that!




What did I learn this week?

While I couldn't find divinity, I did find out there's freeze dried cheesecake!

No comments: