Monday, April 24, 2023

Cravings

Probably three months ago I got a craving for waffles. I have a waffle maker but I didn't want homemade, oh no. I was specifically craving the frozen waffles you put in a toaster from my childhood. 

Whenever I was at the grocery store and I suddenly realized I was standing in the frozen section staring lovingly at the boxes of textured hockey pucks I would admonish myself. I'd say "Self! You know you'll eat maybe half of a waffle and realize how disgusting they taste and then you'll have all these frozen waffles taking up space in the freezer. Then after a while you'll be forced to give them to the dogs as treats or toss them."

I'd reply "I know! I know! I just can't get the thought out of my head! Why can't I quit thinking about them?"

I kept dragging myself away but then one day in Dollar Tree I saw this box of six waffles for $1.25. I finally gave in using the reasoning that the craving wasn't going away and at least this was a small box so less waffles sitting in my freezer.

Almost the moment I got home I threw one in the air fryer to crisp up the outside. Then I smeared a little butter and a squiggle of syrup on it and sat down to prove to myself how stupid cravings could be. It. Was. Delicious! OMG! I couldn't believe how enjoyable it tasted! 

I don't know why turning 60 has brought such waves of nostalgia. I know it's normal, and I'm not saying I'm not enjoying revisiting childhood treats. I guess I just wish this would have happened sooner. I wish I had revisited 20 years ago or just always through my life. But here we are and I honestly hope I don't Debbie Downer myself next time and just dive right in and embrace my sentimentality.

No comments: