Sunday, July 14, 2013

Me (2.8%) Cavewoman

Recently I was perusing this group I joined at 23 and Me that talks about the fact that a lot of people have Neanderthal DNA. We don't know if it's good or bad, but we all agree it's pretty cool. It has become a bit of a status symbol for our little clique as to who has the most and is, thus, king caveman or queen cavewoman. I believe 4% is the highest found so far (haven't checked in a few days). I have 2.8% and my son has 3.1%. His dad is a paltry 2.7%. That in itself caused a stir and some talk in the group, that our son had more caveman than his parents. (He's ours. I checked and the DNA shows he wasn't switched at the hospital) It was decided that I had partial strands that added with some of Paul's partial strands and made a whole strand.
 
The group started with the question: 'Can we increase the amount of Neanderthal DNA in people and get a person who is 100% Neanderthal.' My son proves you can get more in the next generation, but it was by chance. Since Paul has less than me I wasn't attracted to his caveman musk. yuck!
 
You can even buy t-shirts that proudly show the amount of Neanderthal you have. It looked like you can buy one that 'proudly' shows down to .1%, which is sad to me, but the study shows Europeans have the highest, while it is absent in most people of African descent. Asians have a DNA 'cousin' of Neanderthal called Denisova.

Some of the people in the group are REALLY informed on the subject and know a LOT more than I do. Some of what they write is just 'blah, blah, blah' to my mushy brain. Sometimes I find myself wondering if they really know what they are saying or just copying what some scientist said, but either way it's above me, and that's just fine! I'm 51 now, and I would have to give up the words to songs or commercial jingles to make room for all that, and I like knowing the words to the Oscar Mayer jingle:

My baloney has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R. My baloney has a second name it's M-A-Y-E-R. Oh I love to eat it every day and if you ask me why I'll sayyyyyyyyy. 'Cause Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A!

No comments: