Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Week One (11/10-16)

The good news of having a Birthday in November is its eggnog season. The bad news of turning 50 in November is its eggnog season.

The first week of turning 50 I slapped on my sweats and a big t-shirt and immersed myself in comfort food. I drank several quarts of eggnog at different times that week, ate butterscotch pudding, my son's leftover Halloween candy but I controlled myself and only ate the kinds I knew he didn't like. Some of it's a blur. I know there were pinwheels, strawberry logs and Chico sticks involved, but I honestly only remember one actual meal. Yes, yes, you have to watch what you eat as you get older, but week one was about drowning my sorrows. I'm not a big drinker. I do like champagne, but that's a 'happy' drink and I was not happy. I like Japanese Plum wine, but that mellows you out and I wasn't in the mood to be mellow, I was mad! The meal I remember was when my boyfriend took me out Friday night to a Brazilian steakhouse. It was a wonderful evening just the two of us. He’s a sweet guy. He's 12 years younger than me so he has no clue how it feels to turn 50, but he gets a gold star for getting me out of the house.



What did I learn from week one? Hum. Have to say:

1. Let yourself be mad! It's okay to wallow in your pain, just don't live there.
2. Eggnog is awesome.

No comments: